Saturday, March 3, 2007

All Done!








I have finished all my SWAP garments. The last two tops are the Issey Miyake blouse in a lightweight gold red cross woven silk and a Carolina Herrera inspired blouse in the wool poly blend from Timmel Fabrics. The CH blouse did not turn out as light and ethereal looking as the inspiration picture. I used commonly available polyester ribbons for the trim. I suspect CH used lighter weight silk or rayon ribbons in keeping with the weight of the garment fabric. I have rolls of white silk ribbon I could have dyed, but with the time constraints I decided against that approach. I also lined the blouse body with Bemberg rayon so that I didn’t need to worry about the color of the bra I was wearing. I have a penchant for brightly colored undergarments.
I have 11 well fitting, well made, coordinating garments that make a great work wardrobe. I haven’t got a SWAP name yet, but am seriously considering "wonderful work wardrobe" abbreviating it to www. Remember I work in IT. Okay, so IT people can be weird some time. I still have some other garments planned that I may use in the final 11-garment submission. My strategy has been to share my ideas, progress and pictures along the way. The pictures especially provided me with visual feedback on fit and color coordination, and a record of the possible combinations. Other SWAP participants chose different sharing strategies based on their technological restrictions, and I suspect also, their competitive style.
I am glad I finished early. Life is starting to throw distractions at me. Like gorgeous spring weather. It was 70 degrees here yesterday. On a morning yard tour, I found daffodils and miniature iris in full bloom. I bought some seed packets for flowers and herbs recently. I need to get them started. Eldest son announced he is in the school play (the chorus) and needs various costume. And an Easter week vacation on a Caribbean island has caused me to lose interest in winter fabrics and colors. It has also changed the location of my lunch hour from the cafeteria to the company fitness center. I thought about a small vacation SWAP, but really don’t have the time. Though I am using my SWAP planning experience to choose the clothes I will pack for my vacation. Maximizing wardrobe combinations and minimizing suitcase size.

6 comments:

  1. Let me be the first to congratulate you on a job well done. I have been follow your progress for a while now and I really look forward to seeing all your garments together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey your SWAP set is BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to see it "in person" at the meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! A wardrobe that nice, needs a nicer name than www. :)

    Concoct something... the colors remind me of cinnamon spice ... or coffee...

    nice and spicy?
    cinnamon twist?

    cmon, there must be something in those colors that got you started...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, btw, your swap looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your nice comments. Yes, I need to work on a better SWAP name. I hope to take garments to the next ASG meeting. Last months meeting got preempted by kid related activities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on finishing your Miyake blouse. It turned out very nice.

    ReplyDelete