Sunday, August 11, 2019

"Dalia"nces

Hubby and I celebrated a wedding anniversary recently. One of those landmark ones  where the number ends in a zero.  A great reason to sew a special dress.

On a sewing related  Facebook group, there was a post from a woman making a dress with an embroidered lace fabric she had purchased at JoAnn's. The embroidered flowers were described as Dahlias, but did not look like any I grow in my garden.



  I instantly recognized it as the fabric used to make Vogue  9372,  Hmm, a bit much for me.




 and  the  April 2019  Burdastyle style 118. This one I like.



The Burda dress is a great special occasion style. Fitted through the body, with an  off the shoulder neckline and asymmetrical collar. There was a couple yards of the fabric available at my local store and it was on sale.   In short order it was on my sewing table.

The dress is underlined, except for the sleeves.  I hand basted the rayon underlining to all the lace pieces, then treated these basted pieces of fabric as one for further sewing. My serger and sewing machine were able to handle the  layer of underlining and the random heavily embroidered areas of  the lace, but they both sounded like an all terrain vehicle traveling on rough ground.

hand basted underlining

I made a size 42 from the waist up and a size 44 below. I have smaller, squarish, forward shoulders and I wanted the shoulder area to fit well so I did a lot of fitting in that area and customized the darts on the RHS sleeve  and collar. I  applied twill tape to the shoulder seam of the unlined lace sleeve to stabilize that part of the neckline  during fitting, and sewing on the collar.

Twill tape on neckline seam 

 Since all garment sections are underlined (except for sleeves) there is no lining, and the neckline is supposed to be finished by a facing. The facing  pattern was a rather odd shape.

 Since I had custom fit the neckline, I didn't want to transfer those changes to the facing pattern and add even more layers of fabric to the neckline seam,  I chose to face the neckline with a 1.5" grosgrain ribbon that I shaped to the neckline.  
Burda 4 2019 dress 118 side

Burda 4 2019 dress 118 front


Burda 4 2019 Dress 118

Dahlia flowers on my dress, to celebrate 40 years of marriage (and no dalliances).

18 comments:

  1. You've done an amazing job of fitting. I like the dress better on you than on the model. Very pretty! Congratulations on X0 years of marriage! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dress Fitting just enhances the superb
    qualities of overall project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunning anniversary dress! Hope you had a good time and Happy Anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress, and Happy Anniversary. Milestone anniversaries are more rare these days, so it's especially nice to hear about yours. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! The fit is perfection and it is so lovely on you, perfect for your celebration. Congratulations on your milestone achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and your dress are absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary! And What a wonderful way to celebrate--in a gorgeous dress that fits impeccably,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary! Beautiful fit and both the style of the dress and the fabric look wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you look fantastic, dress is so pretty. and congrats on the anniversary. Also that Burda April issue is such a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This dress is STUNNING! Oh my gosh! And such a perfect fit!

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a pretty dress, the fit is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you look like a million bucks! What a great way to celebrate such a special occasion, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy anniversary. Your dress is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. well done to both of you .Love the dress. He is a lucky fellow

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on 40 years of marriage. Great fabric pattern match that really suits your style. Agree the fabric doesn't do much for the Vogue pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful dress! And a belated Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Audrey, this dress is so perfect. I want it. Lol. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oops! I should have said Happy Belated Anniversary! Anyway, you look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete