Thursday, May 16, 2019

Blue Mix

The inspiration for my latest sewn garments is this picture. I liked the combination of the crisp blue striped jacket and the floral print top.  I had similar fabrics in my stash. A medium weight blue stripe cotton chambray fabric and a blue and white silk  scarf print.


For the shawl collar jacket I considered  a recent  BurdaStyle magazine jacket and Kwik Sew 4223



 I chose Kwik Sew thinking it would be the easier sew.  In hind sight I would have been much more satisfied with the Burda pattern fit. I had forgotten how much ease  Kwik Sew patterns have. My measurements put me in a Large size. I chose to make a size Medium based on the finished garments measurement for that size,  which still had 3-4 " wearing ease over my measurements. The shoulder and back widths are also wider than other patterns I use. I  reduced both of those areas which was easy enough to do by moving  the armholes in about an inch on each side.  I changed the front  lapel,  which was double breasted, to single breasted and adding elbow darts to shape the sleeves. To make the chambray fabric a bit more robust and reduce wrinkles,  I underlined all the pieces with a white silk jacquard fabric. Another piece from the box of fabrics gifted to me by my aunt.

The fabric for the top was a "remnant" or "by the piece".  I am a sucker for these types of bargains.  Buyer beware. Below is the website description.

When the fabric arrived, the colors coordinated beautifully with my jacket fabric and the silk was a lovely weight. But the new guy must  have been running the printing machine because this is what the print looked like.

The pattern and style of top I had planned to make required two full square scarf panels. Sigh! The project stalled until one day I was  sitting in my car, at a very long red light, with a  bag of "to be donated" sewing patterns on the passenger seat beside me.  I grabbed a few off the top to confirm they were no longer need.  One was Simplicity 2570.


I noticed the top was designed for wovens and had gathering at the center front, sort of like a scarf might be gathered if worn under a jacket.  I decided to play around with the pattern pieces on my weirdly printed fabric.  With some creative pattern layout I was able to get a top I liked.



Simplicity 2570 top in scarf print

Simplicity 2570 top back  in scarf print





Kwik Sew 4223 jacket, Simplicity 2570 top





12 comments:

  1. I love your inspiration and finished outfit. My goodness you did amazingly well to get such a good looking top from that messed up panel print!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beyond impressed with the layout skills for fabric utilization! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a clever way you found to make use of your misprinted fabric...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have nailed it, yet again! Your print placement on the top turned out beautifully...I often think our best garments are those where we have been forced to test our creativity, as you were with your mismatched print fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how absolutely lovely Audrey. I am particularly impressed with your pattern tetris - inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice save on the Simplicity pattern! Very nice summer outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE how you used the silk print. Your pattern placement is on point! It's a wonderful new outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a beautiful outfit! Love what you did with the silk print. And those shoes are awesome with the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty blue outfit! And I love how you look like you are always having so much fun in your pics! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your creative layout was brilliant! It proved to me, once again, the reason why I would fail on Project Runway! Congratulatons...it is just beautiful!! Love your blog and the output of your creative talents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it!!! You did a fabulous job in creating this pretty outfit!

    ReplyDelete