Monday, August 6, 2018

Burda 8/2018 Deep V top 113

The August issue of Burda Style arrived  just as we were packing up for our annual week at the beach. I had been looking for a sleeveless top pattern that would fit on about a yard of  fabric, and had vertical design lines to break up a large print. Why? Because I had a yard long piece of a poly/lycra large scale print fabric I loved.   The "Deep V top" 8/2018 #113 met all my requirements. I quickly added the fabric, tracing paper and the magazine to the "sewing" tote. Based on the weather forecast for the coming week, which had rain every day, I packed a lot of sewing projects. I am happy to say the weather was better than forecasted and I only completed this project.


I made some  changes. This is a petite size pattern (17-21) and I am not petite. And elastic waists on tops are not a good style for my body because gathers at a thick waist, make it thicker.   So much easier to deal will both issues by extending  the pattern from waist to hip length, omitting the gathered waist peplum.


Sewing Notes.
  • Pictures on all Burda sites show an invisible zipper applied in center back seam.  There are no instructions for this in magazine and it is really not needed because of the V neck opening and the use of recommended stretch fabric. ????


  •  The General Seam and Hem Allowance section says 5/8 '' allowance on all "seams and edges".   However specific  instructions on applying the seam binding on the armhole opening says to use 3/8”  SA so just be aware only 3/8 “ SA needs to be added on armhole opening. 
  • There is shaping in the center back seam which allows the back  to fit close to the neck and also helps with the fitting of the back armhole to the body.  Don’t be tempted to put the center back on the fold. Fit will be compromised. I actually added more curvature to the top of the seam because  of my upper curved back, forward neck.
  • Armholes are low.  I raised bottom by 1/2 “and could have added more. 







I love the style of this top and how easy it was to sew.  There is  a dress pattern, 112,  that uses the same pattern pieces as the top but also has sleeves.  I am tempted to make the top again with the sleeves.

14 comments:

  1. That looks great, fits and flatters you beautifully. I'm not sure what thick waist you are talking about as you look wnderfully slim and poised in this photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your version. The gathered waist had put me off. You've changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People are very quick to eliminate CB seams and sometimes I'm screaming NOOOOO :)

    I LOVE THIS TOP SO MUCH! I will be copying you for fall. I *just* bought a yard of really interesting fabric and knew I'd "find a knit top to make".
    The neckline is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful top! I also love your shoes. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Audrey,
    what a great top. Looks fabulous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked that pattern and now that I see your changes I like it even more. Thanks for all the tips. It looks great on you. I didn't notice that it asked for a knit, that style is often found in a silk top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment about silk reminds me of some some silk knits I have in deep down in my stash that would be perfect with this pattern.

      Delete
  7. Looks great! I do like the elimination of the elastic and it is good to know that the zip is not required. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its gorgeous on you. I am now looking at my silk with serious intentions, so much more elegant than a knit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great on you and I really like your idea to change the bottom part of this top. I just finished the same top in jersey, but with the raglan sleeves from the dress. I had to raise the neckline, but otherwise it was easy so I'm keen to make it again and may copy your idea! Interesting about the zip in the photos, it's definitely not needed nor in the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Audrey, your work is just beautiful. The blouses,the fabric,everything so professional.

    ReplyDelete