Wednesday, January 17, 2018

BurdaStyle Folklore Jacket 1 2018 112


I finally got some "no plans" days at the end of my Dec. holiday to do some sewing.  This jacket in the Folklore Fashion section of the Burdastyle Jan 2018 issue grabbed my attention.  It was a short, slightly flared jacket with 3/4 length sleeves, stand up collar, hook and eye closure and pieced geometric panels. It was shown in solid colors of red, white and blue. I preferred a bit more subdued color blocking  and luckily I had some large wool scraps in my scrap bag that were perfect.

Burdastyle 1 2018 112







There were 5 pages of illustrated,  detailed instructions for this jacket included in the magazine.
I am glad I had  long stretches of uninterrupted sewing time.  This is not a project for “Sadie the Slapdash Sewist”.  Who is Sadie? Not a real person, but a sewing caricature in my mind who cuts and sews sloppily and then blames the pattern company for a crappy pattern. Anyway back on topic.  Careful pattern tracing, cutting, seam line marking and sewing are necessary on this project.  Those small triangles look very similar but they are not. There is some bust shaping built into the pieced area in the front, so the sides of the triangles are slightly different lengths, even the small ones that look like equilateral triangles.   The directions recommend marking the  pattern piece number, grain line arrow and seam lines, on each triangle piece. Even though I followed those directions and was very careful, I inserted one triangle sideways resulting in one front being shorter than the other.  I had to measure the sewn sides of each triangle until I found the culprit and ripped it out.   The precision quilter in me wished the pieced sections had been provided in a foundation piecing format.  A method of stitching fabric shapes to a paper foundation that facilitates precision piecing and sharp corners. The paper is removed after piecing. But that is an advanced quilting technique. Not one I would expect to see used in a Burda pattern. The pattern does include a separate front lining with no piecing. I  added a center back seam for the shaping I need  for an upper back curve.

It was a fun project and I like the finished jacket.  A bit distinctive, so not what I would call a wardrobe staple,  but a fun piece that other sewists would appreciate. And it used up some of my larger fabric remnants.





I am working from home today because of the weather. So I was able to get daylight pictures without having to wait for the weekend.  And since DH is now retired, I had a photographer.  Hooray for snow days!


15 comments:

  1. Love it! Your color palette is gorgeous and so flattering. The interesting garment shape is distinctive and shows off your precise piecing and construction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very, very nice! I too love the colors your chose. It's good to know that the triangles are different if I ever have the right fabric to tackle this one. Great work, Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an interesting look and I can definitely see the attraction of sewing it...not a basic at all...but a great look to shake the wardrobe up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful color choices! I love your Sadie caricature and so agree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous jacket! Definitely a very special piece that can dress up a simple outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking jacket in such flattering colors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so you, Audrey. Great colors, wonderful proportions and terrific fit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this on the Burda site and wondered how it would look. Wonderful apparently!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How interesting that shaping is built into the triangles! I figured it was just boxy. Quite a challenge to piece, though, I imagine! Your jacket looks fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your new jacket! It looks very high end and impeccably sewn, and it looks absolutely fantastic on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely jacket with lots of details

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic to see this pattern made up and I love your colour combinations. Sounds like you have to be super organised in the cutting and sewing process, looking at the drawings I had no idea all those triangles were subtly different.

    ReplyDelete