Last Saturday we returned from a lovely week at the beach. I believe it was this week of sewing deprivation that caused me to rush headstrong into fall sewing the minute I got back. As I was going through the week’s accumulation of mail, I found my package of new Vogue patterns. I really needed to start the laundry loads of dirty beach towels and sheets, and restock the refrigerator with essentials, but I took just a minute to look at the patterns in the package. This pattern was one of them.
I have always been attracted to the idea of using menswear fabrics for unexpected purposes, like the ultra sexy dresses in the picture below and as upholstery fabrics for chairs and sofa's.
On a roll, I decide to cut out the pattern pieces, pin them together and check them against my sloper to see if there are major fitting issues that needed to be resolved. The front V was a bit low, but still decent. I would need to raise the front shoulder seam, lengthen the back in the armhole area, and shape the upper back, all typical changes for me. Pinning the pattern together also let me check the accuracy of the drafting, which was excellent.
|pattern compared to sloper|
The dress was a bit short. I decide to add additional length at the hem. The thought of lengthening the skirt through the curved seams, and redrawing them was too much to contemplate. Since I had the fabric and pattern pieces handy I decided to do ahead with the cutting out. DH came by to say he was going to bed as I started the dress assembly. The best part! I waved goodnight. This dress was so much fun to put together that I stayed up way past my bedtime to do it that night. I stopped when I couldn’t find a suitable zipper in my supplies.
There are lots of curved edges on the pattern pieces. Surprisingly there are no instructions to stay stitch or interface any of the pieces except for the side front hip piece. I interfaced the zipper seam and the front and back yokes. I made sure I cut the pattern pieces accurately and handled the cut pieces carefully during assembly. I did not have any seam matching issues. I did have slight stretching in some places, it was easily eased back into place. I added 2.5 inches to length of the dress, which turned out not to have been enough. I would have preferred the hem of the dress to have hit just below my knees.
|Closeup of Fabrics|
Putting in the lining seemed to take forever. Not because it was particularly difficult but because I want to finish so badly. Oh and I had to go back to work. When I pirouetted in my finished dress for DH, I proudly told him all the fabrics were from my stash. He mumbled something like ‘I’ll bet that really made a dent!" to which I replied "Small steps, honey. Rome was not conquered in a day!" I will have to wait for cooler weather to wear this dress. I was miserably hot while DH and I looked for a suitable locations to take pictures.
|Back Vogue 1316|