Friday, December 23, 2011

Bits and Pieces

I usually love to sew dresses for year end parties. This year I just wasn't into it.

My employer announced another salaried employee reduction in late Nov., with notification to be made on Dec 15. Horrible timing. I didn’t RSVP to 2 company related holiday parties until after the Dec 15th date for obvious reasons. I still have a job. Several of my coworker/friends do not. This is the 3rd reduction  in as many years; declining market, etc. The last two cut out the poor performers and none value added skills. This one was much harder to go through. The selection criterion was not publicized, or even explained to the people that were terminated. Less than 4 years and I am out the door with  full retirement benefits. I hope I can hang on that long with my increased workload.

Rather than sew something new, I refurbished my little black dress from last year. I like this dress a lot. It is fitted and has a bra friendly V back which shows off the results of those P90X back and shoulder workouts. I blogged about the dress here.  Dec 2011 I removed the silver and black faux jewels and replaced them with a black braided trim with gold balls.

Over it I wore the faux fur jacket that I made last year.

I attended a couple of classes at G Street Fabric's several weeks ago. Beginners Guide to Sewing Silks and Sewing with Sheer Fabrics. Both were very informative and the instructor had a wonderful trunk show of garments she had made. There was one top that I really liked. It was made in a sheer fabric  with narrow french seams that accented the unique style lines. All the instructor could remember was that the top was made from a discontinued Vogue pattern. The sketch is below. It may not be completely accurate because it is from memory. The top had kimono sleeves. The  lower back wrapped around to the front, and there are geometric pieces sewn on the bottom. Do any of you recognize the style lines/pattern?

What Pattern is this?
Well, I am off to paint the bathroom that will be used by the guests who are arriving on Christmas Day.  I wish I was motivated to keep my home in guest ready condition, but I know when  it comes down to a choice of what to do in my spare time, sewing wins over painting any day.

Wishing everyone a happy holiday season!

19 comments:

  1. Love your classy dress with the whimsical xmas bells - perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, you have my sympathies. I work for a larger corporation and went through many, MANY, reductions and it got worse and worse over the years. It was completely stressful, even though I was lucky to retain my job. By the end, my team of 15 was reduced to 3 or so.

    I love that top, but do not recognize the pattern. I hope you do find out, because it's fabulous!

    Your "refurbished" dress is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The economy is rough but hang in their hon, their's not anything prayer and faith won't help. I always admire your sewing. Blogs like yours motivates me alot. Keep doing the good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beading makes this dress extra special. HAve a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bad time for people to lose their positions just before Christmas. Love your sewing pictures and posts. Merry Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dress looks awesome. I am sorry to hear about your coworkers, what awful time of the year to find out you no longer have a job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Audrey-
    so glad you made it throught this round of lay-offs. I feel for the employee(s) that were laid off and right before Christmas.

    Hope you have a blessed day!
    Michele P

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have my sympathy regarding work related issues. Things are bleak here too. Like you, my family is fine, so far.
    Your dress looks great! Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This year has been a year of layoffs at my organization. My job was combined with another job back in April and they let the other person go. Not a great feeling for me or the other person. There have been others laid off as well. I always think I am on some list that will pop up next. Not a great feeling. I am sorry you are facing those things as well. The great thing is that sewing for me and I am sure for you becomes a source of dealing with stress and allows you to be creative.

    Love the change to that gorgeous LBD. Nice touch. Enjoy your holiday with your guests.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do feel for you with the job situation. Who needs the added stress?
    Your dress looks wonderful with the new trim.
    Have a very happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy holidays to you, and thanks for your comments on my blog- always appreciate them. I got laid off 3 yrs ago and it has turned out to be the best thing ever. sounds trite but things have a way of working out. But right before Christmas, that is harsh, why do companies do that? Here's to satisfying sewing in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Audrey - I'm so sorry to hear about the situation at your job and the timing of the announcement. You start to wonder when the bottom is coming so that we can start climbing out of this hole.

    BTW, I like the refurbish of your dress...and as a total aside at least you do have a stash of fabric to sew from just in case. I know that's why my collection is so large...for just in case moments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have also been through the process you describe only we were told the selection criteria which only made the most vulnerable people try and make themselves indispensable before the cut. We went through 10 reductions in 3 years. Right before the last reduction, they bought in a PR company to run a "changes" course for those who might consider voluntary redundancy. All 6 of us who attended that course resigned after it, having already envisioned a future that didn't involve that company!

    I hope you get to keep your job long enough to enjoy a more secure retirement. I'm sure that long term goal will steady you through the resulting low morale that comes with job losses. And if that fails, there's always sewing. Sewing has kept me sane through some very dark times.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas! I am glad you made it throught the latest reduction. Isn't it funny how all these nasty things get a new name to make them not seem what they really are? Used to be layoffs, now they are called reductions. Well, I am glad you missed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the dress redo, it shows your creativity and elegant style.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the embellishment you did, it is such an elegant dress. Sorry to hear about the job situation, sadly it is too common these days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not surprised you weren't feeling the party spirit with that type of stress hanging over your head. I'm glad that you kept your job and I hope that any friends that lost theirs will find something quickly.

    With a dress as stylish as that one a little 'refurbishment' is the perfect way to subtly change the look. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. just goes to show how making the right style choice from the get-go will serve you well over time. with a simple change of trim or accesories, your classic dress is easily updated. Nicely done. Happy New Year Audrey and congrats on making it through the job cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, the dress is lovely and now I know your secret (P90X). The trim is so tasteful and beautiful.
    I am happy for you that it's only 4 years to go, and just hoping that it is bearable and no more reductions! Both my husband and I see this going on around us and somehow we have survived, but it is nerve-wracking. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete