After two weeks of no sewing, I wanted to make something fast, and easy. So I made view D, the sleeveless version of McCalls 5661 blouse. using 1 yard of a 60 wide poly print from the G Street $2.99 table. I loved the print of circles in brown, beige, teal and citron green. If it had been in silk or even cotton I would have had been in fabric heaven, but it was in shiny finish polyester. Oh well. I eliminated the back opening with the plan to use an invisible zipper in the side seam if I had needed it. It slips on over my head easily. I have been thinking a lot about sewing dresses lately. I don’t know why. It doesn't seem like women wear dresses that much anymore. At least not the ones I work and play with. But dresses make summer dressing a snap, especially shirtdresses in comfortable breathable fabrics. I am currently enamoured with this one, which is from the Newport News catalog. For some reason I really like the simplicity of a simple shirtdress in a solid khaki colored fabric, embellished with self fabric roses.
The price was actually pretty reasonable, but they only had it in one very small size. It must be a popular item. The "roses" look more free form than ones for which I have instructions. So I am currently collecting information on making fabric roses from internet sources and books. I have found some interesting techniques that I had not seen before. I have a lightweight twill blend fabric that I am considering using. It is cross woven tan and black so it has a slight iridescence when it moves or changes direction.I thought that effect might be interesting when made into the roses.
I'll keep you updated.