Sunday, December 7, 2014

UFO no mo'

I am so proud of myself. I sewed up two UFO’s.


 
 A pair of pants that I had pre cut and planned to  sew during a sewing retreat this past Jan.   The arrival of the sign up sheet for the 2015 retreat guilted me into finishing  them.  The fabric is off white wool, the pattern a copy of a favorite pair of RTW.  I added hidden pockets in the seam of the waist yoke.
pocket

  Pockets just big enough for a few dollars or a charge card. Located in the hollow between my tummy and hip.  That got  me thinking about pockets in women's' pants.  Locating a pocket can be problematic, what with all those curves in the waist to hip area.  Where to find a place for multiple layers of fabric to lay flat.  Not many places on my body.     As I hung the finished pants on the sewing room doorknob, the staging place for garments on their way to my closet, my eye fell on a partially finished jacket I made at the same retreat, using the pattern from  Burda 2/2013 jacket 107



The fabric is a cotton poly jacquard geometric strip.  Just a note: I have decided if the fabric I have used for the garments I blog about was not purchased from Fabric Mart Fabric, I will tell you. Otherwise just assume that is where it was purchased. The jacket pattern has a wide V neck,  and the side  panel  extends from side front to side back.  No side seam.  One less seam to match the stripe on. I took a tuck in the front so that the center front met but did not overlap.

 


 I hadn’t been able to find the perfect trim for the jacket yet, but there was a 2nd choice trim pinned in place since Jan.  At the rate I was going on finding the perfect trim, I thought I might as well wear the jacket with trim #2 til then.  In 45 minutes the trim was hand tacked in place and the jacket was ready to wear.   Why didn’t I do that sooner???



Close up of Trim



Burda Jacket 2/2013 107



 




And I finished a basic shirt,  New Look 6266, with  front and back yokes and  side bust darts.



 The fabric, a brown cream animal print, was from a free fabric bundle. A poly rayon challis blend by the feel of it.  The blouse fits well, but the extra fabric in the waist area reminded me of why I prefer blouse patterns with waist fitting, using either darts or princess seams.


New Look 6466 Blouse

 

But a jacket  hides the extra fabric at the waist.

 


Since I had a mini coordinated wardrobe going, I went stash diving  and found some other  fabrics that could be used to continue the color scheme. More to come

14 comments:

  1. Good on you for finishing UFO's... I am also in that process slowly. I love the whole outfit actually. I like the no side seam on the jacket and the trim looks great especially with the red shirt under.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that little slit of a pocket in your beautiful wool pants. I think that trim is perfect. Who needs number two when number one looks so good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I have decided if the fabric I have used for the garments I blog about was not purchased from Fabric Mart Fabric" - okay I laughed so hard at this line! Then I thought I should adopt that line too!!!

    So glad that you were able to get some UFOs finished - they are great. Glad you've got a mini-swap going there and can't wait to see the new pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That jacket is EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot say enough how elegant you look in these outfits. The jacket is amazing and the pants are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The waist pocket is clever. I do not know how to do it, however. I love the jacket. I will have to look up that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been busy and smart to finish up the UFO's. No need in taking them into the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! Great to get them into the wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three great looking garments for your wardrobe. Good for you, for finishing them! I bet you'll get a lot of wear from them. Now you can have fun planning what to make next.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pieces! You must be really pleased to have all those pieces in your wardrobe and out of the WIP pile!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like Carolyn said, I should use that fabric disclaimer myself, only in my case for Jo Ann Fabrics. I've pretty much only bought my fabric from there since 1987! One day, one day...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, I have the exact same jacket as a UFO at the moment too! Your finished pieces all look great, in theory this should inspire me to get on and finish mine.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Burda jacket. I have that pattern ready for my winter 2015 sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on getting the UFO's into wardrobe rotation! Such a great feeling. All these pieces look fantastic, and I think the tiny bit of blousing from the shirt looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete