Friday, February 5, 2021

 Another  sweat suit  make using two more  Grasser Patterns  combined with some luscious organic tencel cotton stretch fleece (.76 tencel lyocell, .28 organic cotton .06 spandex)  from Ewe Fine Fiber Goods , a small/yarn fabric store in Charlottesville, VA.

The top is  Grasser No. 528. I liked the raised neck line, so cozy,  and the asymmetrical vertical pleats.  In reality the pleats don't stay neat and vertical. 

The pants are  Grasser No. 725. They are meant to be made out of a firmer knit like ponte or wool double knit. The drape and softness of my fabric affected the look of my pants. I took in all seams significantly to get a neater appearance and closer fit. The  instruction included two  construction techniques I had never seen before, 1. Using grosgrain ribbon in the hem allowance of knit pant to maintain the shape of the leg hems. 2. And for the waistband, using two layers of elastic to provide a firm but stretchy waistband and a crisp turned edge to the pant top.


The set is very soft and comfortable.  However it reminds me of pajamas and I don't ever wear pajamas during the day unless I am sick,  recovering from surgery, etc. This sewing project confirmed what I have always suspected, which is that I feel more attractive  and therefore more comfortable, in garments with a bit more shape and structure.    I love the neckline of the top  and hope to use it in another garment.

Grasser top 528 and pant 725






4 comments:

  1. The two-layer elastic waistband and the petersham or grosgrain in pants hems both sound like good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the unique style of the top! The fabric color looks great on you. I may have to try this pattern. I have never used A4 paper before and will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that sweatshirt, and have been looking for interesting blouse patterns, so thanks for pointing to Grasser! I bet that drape neck would be nicer in a lighter fabric, more like a blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happened to buy this exact sweatshirt pattern last night - so was quite excited to jump on to look at sewing blogs and see that you have made it! I love the colour of your fabric, but am also aligned on preferring a more snappy, tailored/fitted outfit style. But, as I bought this pattern for slopping at home in winter evenings, it shouldn't be a problem.

    ReplyDelete