Sunday, March 29, 2015

Spice Colors

I sewed up a couple of tops to wear with the butterscotch jacket from the last post.  The fabric colors were from the  “Desert pallete” of ocher, mustard, pepper and cinnamon that many designers are using this spring.

 
The first top was a blouse from  Burda pattern 6839, an envelope pattern that includes  seam and hem allowances. It is semi fitted style with front princess seams and back darts.  I made view A, which has pleats that radiate from the neckline.


 The fabric was a silk print of wine and  black circles on a gold and brown pin stripe background.


 
The fabric was really densely woven and behaved like a microfiber.  In that when I had to sew through more than 4 layers, the brand new, very sharp needles had trouble pushing through the fabric. I am still becoming familiar with my new computerized sewing machine and when this message  appeared the first time the needle could not pierce the fabric, I was a bit startled. 


While I waited for the OK button to reset, it occurred to me that this is a message I would really like to give to my kids, spouse or coworkers  sometimes. Substituting the word  "Human" for Machine. He he he! Maybe when we are all wearing Google type glasses we can program such messages to pop up  on our glasses for others to read.  Anyway, I really like the fit of this blouse and hope to make another one from this pattern soon
 

Burda 6839

Burda 6839 blouse & Vogue 9039 jacket


The second  top is  view A of Vogue 9006.  This one is going to be a favorite for a quick summer top. 


It is pullover with draped (small cowl) front neckline, princess seams and shaped hem.  The shoulders of the armholes are slightly cut in and for that reason, the sleeve pattern for views B and C does not work with the armhole of A.  Rats , because I really wanted the front of A with the sleeves of B. My fabric is silk georgette.


The pattern calls for finishing the sleeves with a facing.  I am not part of the anti facing sewist group. When the facing pattern is drafted correctly and the sewing is accurate, facings are wonderful.  For my silk georgette fabric, I felt  a lightly interfaced facing was perfect for finishing the armholes on this blouse and maintaining the shape. I am mentioning this because some others have sewn this top, finished the armholes with a bias binding and then complained of the arm hole being too big. Perhaps the armhole was stretched out of shape when the binding was applied? The size of the armhole on my top was perfect.
Vogue 9006

 
Vogue 9006 top with Vogue 9039 jacket

 

8 comments:

  1. These are both great new tops! Thanks for the words of advice on my tops. I will remember it for future tops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both lovely tops and they go wonderfully with your jacket. These aren't colours I can really pull off, so I enjoy seeing them on others

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two great new tops for summer! Very nice work, as always, Audrey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect additions to the wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new tops, the colours are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tops and impeccable fit. You look great in them,too! The colors are very rich looking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This human needs to rest sometimes too! Great tops

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, and yes that first shirt has a really great fit. Love your chosen color story too.

    ReplyDelete