Saturday, January 21, 2012

Catching Up

Well, work has been every bit as stressful as I thought it would be when I was told I was taking over the responsibilities of my coworker, in addition to the ones I already had. “Drinking from a fire hose” is an apt description of how I felt the first two weeks. So much information, as well as phone calls and emails about problems, coming at me non stop. My new responsibilities now include the day to day support of applications that track the hourly workforce work time and attendance.  We have multiple unions, each with their own convoluted and complicated pay rules. The union contract pay rules must be reflected correctly in the application or paychecks are incorrect. People get very upset over incorrect paychecks. Imagine that! This week I am finally starting to feel I will eventually have a good knowledge of the applications and be able to fix my clients’ problems quickly and efficiently, which is a huge factor in my job satisfaction.

Sewing is my de-stressor. Blogging about sewing is low priority, which means I have some catching up to do.

I finished up the last two pieces of my 6 PAK wardrobe plus two extra ones. Here is the story board for this mini wardrobe.

Misty Morning 6 PAC Story Board

Kwik Sew 3915 a close fitting pull over top with full length sleeves and V-neckline with lapped collar that is gathered at front neckline with four decorative buttons and loops.
I made it out of a print rayon Lycra knit.

Kwik Sew 3915
 Actually I used a TNT T-shirt pattern and added the Kwik Sew collar to it. Why? Well the Kwik Sew sizing is S,M and L. To fit the measurements in each of those size ranges, the sleeve pattern back and front armhole curve is the same length, with a short cap height which results in a wider sleeve. I need a more shaped sleeve cap with back armhole length longer than the front. Also I prefer a narrower, close fitting sleeve in a knit top, which the higher sleeve cap creates.


My TNT knit top pattern is an older New Look pattern.
New Look 6779


The second pair of pants is Silhouette Yoga Pant pattern made in a gray heavy weigh poly/rayon/lycra ponte knit.



At the sewing expo, Peggy Sagers, the designer of Silhouette patterns, was wearing a pair of these pants and they looked very polished and comfortable. Not at all like she was on her way to yoga class. The pant pattern includes a fabric covered, 2 inch wide elastic waist band and seaming down the front and back legs. By the way, the line drawing of the pant front on the website is incorrect. It looks like this. Hint: seams on front leg.


When I emailed to ask if the pattern had been changed, Peggy replied "Thanks for bringing that to my attention...we had put the pattern back envelope up on the website and before printing noticed the error and clearly, did not go back and fix...we will do...so thanks, we will get it fixed...the back of the pattern is correct in the printing, but not on the website...thanks again...Peggy"





The extra garments were both made with Silhouette patterns. Peggy got a lot of my money at the sewing expo. A raglan sleeve knit top pattern with shirred sleeves and princess seams, made of a light weight, opaque, dark gray poly Lycra knit.
Silhouette Pattern #110
I liked the shirring and the princess seaming, which is only in the larger women's sizes, not the kid sizes which are also included in the pattern. I did have to add some width at the hips area as the pattern seemed to be drafted for a body whose hips were smaller than bust.


Silhouette Pattern 110

And a very loose-fitting, pullover top with one-piece twist front (wrong side shows)



Silhouette Pattern 95
The fabric is a rayon gauze, very drapey with an open weave. This top was quick to make. Hemming the edges of the front and back pieces took the longest time. I used a rolled hem, but in hindsight, a serged edge would have looked just as good and made the task quicker. I have always admired the bohemian look of this type of garment when it is worn by others, but it is way out of my comfort zone of tailored, fitted tops. Still, I will try anything once. I like it, but it is so drapey it gets in the way when I am working with my hands and it catches on things. It has been consigned to my “wear to a stand around and look good” wardrobe for a party, lecture, or art show.

All of the Silhouette Patterns are available at this website. Silhouette patterns.

Here is some pictures of the new garments worn in combination with the older ones.

29 comments:

  1. Your new garments look lovely, especially the first top and the pants! I, too, have an old OOP pattern I use as the basis for all of my tee shirts. Why mess with a good thing? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, all of those look fabulous, what a great wardrobe! I love the way you dress. Good that work is getting more manageable too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fabulous wardrobe. I love how you've combined the pieces and how they work together. You did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look fantastic in all the outfits! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific new outfits. I particularly like the draped top but can see that it might be impractical to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look very elegant in your new wardrobe. And your reviews are very helpful, thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great wardrobe! They all look so good together. Good tip about the tshirt top. I definately smaller at front armhole. Hmm, must look at my tnt's

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful pieces! Funny - I was just thinking of doing the same with that Kwik Sew pattern. They have very interesting designs, but I find the fitting of them becomes too complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - you've created a really lovely mini wardrobe, I especially love the dark grey ruched sleeve top. I'm glad to hear that you're starting to come to grips with everything at work - it sounds completely overwhelming and very stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really wonderful - I love your aesthetic - it's so unexpected and intriguing.

    I was curious to see you used so many silhouette patterns, a pattern company I've heard of, but don't know too much about. Their DVD collection looks interesting - do you or any of your readers know anything about them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. These will be great additions to your wardrobe. There are some interesting designs there.

    Good luck in managing your extra workload.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My you've been busy. Your wardrobe is wonderful and very flattering. Isn't it wonderful to have this stress reliever to turn to after such a stressful time at work? Hope things settle down for you. It sounds like a tough position to be in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like your finished garments. I am not usually attracted to the designs of the Silhouettes patterns, but you've completely persuaded me they are very stylish.
    Beautiful coordinated wardrobe.

    And yay for you to have survived the trial by fire with new job responsibilities. Payroll systems have their own extra special amount of pressure, don't they? I don't support payroll, but work closely with people who do. You are a special breed, and have my admiration & commiseration!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looking wardrobe. I easpecially like the shirring top. How was it to sew?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great wardrobe - the pants look very tailored and look like they fit perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic wardrobe! Hope your work gets a little less stressful. I haven't seen Silhouette patterns before, but those yoga pants and the shirred sleeve top are gorgeous - you've inspired me to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautifully cordinated wardrobe. I especially love the Silhouettes blue top.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad to hear that your work situation is getting easier. Your new pieces are wonderful. I especially like the "bohemian" top -- like you, I'm more of a tailored gal, but I can appreciate the beauty of a top like that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations for your new job responsibilities. Hope you'll soon enjoy them as the stress has lessen.
    Your new wardrobe is fantastic. I love the new Color block Burda dress you've just reviewed on Pattern Review

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great wardrobe, lots of items that can mix and match with many other things. I especially admire those yoga pants, (which don't look yoga at all) great lines and fit. You do a fantastic job on pants, an item which continues to elude me. I may try that pattern, thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You made some very nice pieces! Will you be coming up for the Baltimore meet up?

    ReplyDelete
  22. You've sewed up some great garments. I especially love the petrol raglan top.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd love to see you wearing the shirred top. I've never tried anything like that myself. Nice job. And speaking of jobs, best wishes on adapting to your new responsibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all the pieces! They look comfy and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like the drapey top! The colors look really flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are all such beautiful pieces. I can see why Peggy Sayers got a lot of your money- these patterns look great made up in your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You did a lovely job on all of the garments and I know that they are wonderful additions to your wardrobe. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You such fabulous pieces now. These are all adorable.

    ReplyDelete